Many people forget how many organizations are run based purely on love, donations, and volunteer labor. Such organizations may not get to fold up their tents while others enjoy a vacation. In fact, their services may be more important than ever, as they provide:
- medical treatment to people in need
- Thanksgiving meals to the hungry and the incarcerated
- shelter for those needing a break from the ever-colder weather or from domestic violence
- care for animals awaiting adoption
- hotlines and support groups for people in difficult straits, and
- much more.
They’re during it during a tough year economically, too, with donations down, and headlines announcing things like, “Nonprofits face turkey-free Thanksgiving.”
I’m taking a moment to be truly thankful for the open hearts and determined spirits of the people who join together on such projects. (And I’ll be putting in a couple of hours at my local animal shelter, too.) Happy Thanksgiving!