Are you tired of being a lawyer, but still want to use that fancy law degree, expensive education, and valuable legal expertise? We want that big brain of yours! At Nolo, we are always on the lookout for talented, experienced attorneys to help us with our mission of bringing plain English legal information to the masses.
What We Do
Publish, publish, publish. We have a dozen in-house editors who are tasked with writing, editing and updating Nolo’s award winning library of plain English self-help legal books, online and boxed software applications, and legal forms.
In addition, we operate Nolo.com and other legal sites in the Nolo Network. With so many questions to answer, we wind up writing thousands of articles every month, and we can only keep up with the help of our contributing authors. This is where you come in.
Who Are Our Contributing Authors?
These fine people – Practicing attorneys, retired lawyers, paralegals, recent law school grads, JDs working in other fields, and everything in between. We have found that the freedom and flexibility offered by this position appeals to a wide array of legal experts who want to use their skill, experience, and education, but don’t want to commit to a full-blown law career.
How’s it Work?
Our contributing authors work closely with our team of editors to add to and/or update our massive library of legal articles, Q&A’s and legal resource content. We use a platform developed and managed by Internet Brands to streamline the whole process, from idea, to published article, to payment.
This is all done over the internet, so the work is available to the right person, anywhere in the U.S.
Who We’re Looking For
If you’re interested in writing for Nolo, you can always find open positions at IBPublishing.com. As I write this, I know:
- Mary Randolph and Betsy Simmons Hannibal want talent in the area of estate planning and administration.
- Janet Portman needs experts in the field of criminal law.
- Ilona Bray is looking for practicing immigration attorneys to write on the complex and ever-changing area of immigration.
- Beth Laurence could use a hand covering issues of disability and workers compensation, as well as Medicaid.
- Marcia Stewart, along with Ilona, needs real estate experts.
- Kathleen Michon is always in need of help with the debt & bankruptcy area as well as foreclosure.
- David Goguen, who covers accidents and personal injury law, needs all the help he can get.
- If you’re a tax or business expert, Diana Fitzpatrick would like to hear from you.
- Lina Guillen would love help in the areas of divorce, child support, child custody, adoption, and everything else family law.
What Else You Should Know
Nolo has a hard-earned reputation for delivering the best quality, plain English, legal information available anywhere. Our editorial team is, well, very picky. Our contributing authors find that there is an initial learning curve, and the first few submissions often go back and forth between writer and editor before final approval. So, be prepared for, and open to, some criticism. Get ready to be a better writer.