Need a Copy of Your Tax Return?

So you’ve lost that copy of your tax return which your preparer gave you and your banker won’t talk to you about your loan request until you give him that tax return he insists on?

No problem. IRS will be happy to provide you another copy – for a modest fee of $57.  All you have to do is complete Form 4506 and send it off with your check.  Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past six years, and should be in your hands within 60 days.

And maybe another alternative will allow you to satisfy your banker — IRS can provide you a “tax account transcript,” free of charge, which shows all of the basic information from your return, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.  Order one of these by use of Form 4506-T, which also allows you to tell IRS to send your transcript directly to a third party.