The IRS continues to be worked up over the ongoing problem of aggressive telephone scammers who harass taxpayers. In a recent release, IRS advises about five things which scammers often do, but which IRS will not do:
- Telephone a taxpayer to demand immediate payment
- Demand that a taxpayer pay without offering the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe
- Require you to use a specific payment method
- Ask for credit or debit card account numbers over the phone
- Threaten arrest by local police or other law enforcement groups when taxes are not paid
Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/irsvideos.